Copyright 1995 Lauren P. Burka.
The MUDdex FAQ
Maintained by Lauren P. Burka (lpb+muddex at linnaean.org)
- What's the extent of your first-hand experience with MUDs?
How many years have you been involved, and how did you get started?
- I have no first-hand MUD experience. I never participated in
generating any of the logs or usenet posts on the web site. Well, I
did log in to LambdaMOO once, but that was just because I'm secretly a
guy, and I heard that cross-dressing virtual reality was a great way to
- I sent you a correction/addition for the MUDdex. Why isn't it up?
Are you ignoring me?
- I'm probably going to remain well behind on MUDdex fixes until
the next recession.
- Why don't you have much about lpMUDs/diku's/insert-MUD-here?
- Because I didn't have anything on these topics when I put the
MUDdex together. I used to try, though. I gave up after I posted
information all over the net requesting a correction for the MUDline's
dates on LPMUD creation. No one answered. If they don't care, I
- What can I do to convince you add information about my favorite
MUDs before the next recession?
- Send me money.
- Don't you feel an obligation to keep your widely-cited web site
accurate and complete?
- In your opinion, why do more men than women MUD?
- Because there are more men than women on the internet, in part because
more men than women work in technical positions that gives them
exposure to computers, and men make higher salaries, enabling them to
spend more money on ISDN lines and Pentium Pros, and besides, they get
the computer while the wife is doing laundry or something. By the way,
all of the women you encounter on the net are actually guys who heard
that cross-dressing virtual reality was a great way to meet chicks.
Well, all of them except for two, and I'm not telling you who they
- Do you think MUDs foster more social alienation, or do they help
- Will you appear in our radio program/TV show/academic research
- Don't you want to be famous?
- Go away. Or send me money.
- MUD addiction really does exist! It does! It does!
- Oh, get over it.
- Why are MUDs less popular than they used to be?
- MUDs are more popular than they used to be. They're just
less popular than the web.
- Why is that?
- Most MUDs have a deep technical flaw: They're restricted to one
machine. Any successful MUD grows. If it grows, it will eventually
overwhelm both its server and its wizards. The web has no such
limitations. Plus, MUDs don't have pictures soaking-wet naked shaved
- Are MUDs "just games", or do they become more to the people who play
- MUDs are not games. Life is a game. MUDs are real. The sooner you
accept this, the sooner we can start the medication.
- Why do the newspapers only report bad things about MUDs?
- The newspapers only report bad things about *anything*, except in
totalitarian countries. Articles about MUDders discussing tax
legislation does not sell anywhere near as many newspapers as MUDder
cross-dressing drug and murder rampages. If this isn't immediately
obvious to you, you really have to start reading the papers some time
other than when your favorite MUD has made the front page of the Style
- Do you have any research on the academic uses of MUDs?
- Yes. See: this
entry in the MUDdex.